|Consciousness, philosophy: The experience of differences along with a freedom of choice as opposed to purely automatic responses. See also intentionality, identity theory, other minds.|
Books on Amazon
|Diaz-Bone I 38
Consciousness/James: consciousness is a real execution of transcending psychic acts. Consciousness has no other being, there is no reality behind consciousness. The simplest would be to say "it thinks" as we say "it rains". Since we cannot do this, we have to say that "consciousness events takes place".
1. Every state of consciousness always appears as a personal consciousness.
2. Consciousness is procedural.
3. It is continuum, which cannot be experienced in sections, changes are never abrupt.
4. Consciousness is selective
5. It is always concerned with objects.
Consciousness thus represents a stream of consciousness with its own reality.
The logical links "and", "or", "if" are part of the immediate consciousness, and not of the conceptual reason based on it.
Consciousness/James: consciousness is not an entity but a function.
Consciousness flow: consciousness flow integrates psyche and physique and overcomes dualism.
R. Diaz-Bone/K. Schubert
William James zur Einführung Hamburg 1996